Monday, November 03, 2008

Charles Darwin Reiterates Endorsement of Obama

Charles Darwin has again spoken from the grave. In February I reported how Darwin endorsed Obama in the primary against Hilary Clinton (The Tree of Life: Charles Darwin Endorses Obama as the "Natural Selection") (note - his candidacy took off immediately after the 2/5 endorsement). And Darwin is getting in his own November surprise for the election tomorrow. Darwin spoke through a variety of media (I am using this term in reference to the plural of medium - people who speak to the dead .. but I am not sure whether media or mediums is the plural) and said
"This one is such a complete no brainer. Obama is so far and away the fitter candidate. Plus if Palin and McCain do not believe in my greatest work, well they can ..." (we cannot print the rest)
So there it is. Of course, most living well known scientists who have made public statements also endorse Obama, but getting Darwin's support is an extra feather in his cap.

7 comments:

  1. Didn't Wallace get into Spiritualism late in life?

    Good thing for creationists Darwin published when he did. It just wouldn't be the same going on about "Wallaceism."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Wallace did get a bit "new age" later in life. One wonders if it wasn't just an attempt at getting attention, the way Lynn Margulis, for example, seems to be attracted to bizarre stuff like "Gaia" and 9/11 conspiracies.

    On the positive side, Wallace was fluent in Malay/Indonesian (which hadn't quite "speciated" as separate languages in his time), so I think he'd *also* endorse the only candidate who knows a bit of that language...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to try the media channelling again ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just returned from Bangladesh so missed hearing about Darwin's endorsement of Obama and Palin's comments on homo sapiens research.

    Fortunately I can just turn to tree of life for these important updates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found a great post on Peterman's Eye today about Charles Darwin. Thought I'd share...

    http://www.petermanseye.com/curiosities/notables-gossip/378-what-darwin-really-said

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Most recent post

My Ode to Yolo Bypass

Gave my 1st ever talk about Yolo Bypass and my 1st ever talk about Nature Photography. Here it is ...